NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL OF THAILAND
NATIONAL NATURAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION OF CHINA
CALL FOR PROJECT PROPOSALS (2017)
On 29 October 1992, the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC). Following successful joint project and workshops held in Thailand and China especially on renewable energy. NRCT and NSFC have agreed to announce the 2017 call for joint research proposals between Thai and Chinese sides, and herewith invite all interested parties to submit their applications, by a date no later than the indicated closing date.
Aims of the programme
· To contribute to scientific advancement in both countries through the funding of joint research activities in specified research fields in a larger scale;
· To provide an opportunity for young researchers and to build research network in the two countries to engage;
· To support the advancement of basic research and applied research; and
· To contribute meaningfully to research capacity development.
Areas of cooperation
Proposals may be submitted in the following areas which have been designated as priority in the NRCT/NSFC joint funded activities:
· Renewable energy
Duration of projects
The projects will be supported for a maximum of three years from 1 August 2017 to 31 July 2020. Granting budget support will be considered and approved year by year depending on the research result.
Who may apply?
Thailand: This call is open to employed Thai researchers and affiliated with a recognised higher education or research institution. An application must designate two Principal Investigators (PIs), one in Thailand and one in China, who will bear the main responsibility for the project including its technical and administrative coordination as well as scientific and financial reporting. The Thai PI should possess at least a Master’s degree (preferably PhD). An application for the same research activity must in addition be submitted to the NSFC by the Chinese PI in order for joint funding to be considered.
China: Permanently employed researchers residing in China and affiliated with a recognised higher education or research institution which registers in NSFC. The Chinese applicant must possess an academic title of professor or associate professor and must be the PI of an on-going or completed NSFC research grant which duration is more than 3 years. Please read the Chinese version of the guidelines for details on the eligibility of Chinese applicants.
How do I apply?
1. Applicants must contact with Chinese partners for writing joint project proposal together.
2. Applicants must register their general background information to National Research Management System (NRMS) http://www.nrms.go.th/
3. Applications must be submitted through an online application process of the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT) by accessing the link: http://www.nrms.go.th/
4. Hard copies of full proposal are required according to the submission guideline (within 17 February 2017).
5. An application for the same research activity must in addition be submitted to the NSFC by the Chinese PI for a consideration for joint funding by NSFC
China: Applications must be submitted through an online application process of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) by accessing the link: http://isis.nsfc.gov.cn.
The onus is on the applicant to find their own research partner. Proposals must be received in both Thailand and China. Proposals which have only been received in either Thailand or China, but not both countries, will not be considered for funding. The call process is highly competitive therefore application does not guarantee funding. The evaluation of applications from both countries should have positive ratings before consideration for funding. Neither the NRCT nor NSFC will be held responsible for non-submission of the application in the partner country.
Which activities may be included in the joint research project?
According to the NRCT-NSFC agreement, funding will be made available for the following joint research activities undertaken as part of the joint research project:
· Exchange for a short visit of leading and young scientists, technical personnel or other experts on general or specific subjects for a total maximum of 30 days per year.
· No reciprocal visits of a longer duration of more than 30 days per year will be funded.
· On Thai side, to research result disseminate, joint workshop meetings will be organized and supported by NRCT at the end of the project.
In the case of meetings, research visits and exchanges of scientists, personnel and experts, as well as reciprocal visits undertaken as part of joint research projects and the attendance of seminars, symposia and other meetings funded under this agreement, the sending side will be responsible for financing international travel, visas, and medical insurance, while the receiving party will be responsible for financing the accommodation and subsistence of their international partners. Local travel and fees relating to the organisation of events (venue, catering, audio-visual equipment etc.) will be the financial responsibility of the host investigator which is to be paid from his / her allocation of the joint funding.
How much may I apply for?
Thailand: NRCT funding levels are up to BAHT 1,000,000 for one project per year (approximately USD 33,000), depending on the research result. Funding will be made available for a maximum of three years, to be paid in an annual year including both research funds and funds for international cooperation and exchanges.
China: NSFC funding levels are up to RMB 2,400,000 (approximately USD 350,000). Funding will be made available for a maximum of three years, to be paid in two instalments (60%: 40%) including both research funds and funds for international cooperation and exchanges.
Note that both scientific and financial reporting on the project is an OBLIGATORY condition of funding in subsequent years.
How are applications evaluated?
Following the closing date indicated, applications will be submitted to both a postal and panel review by recognised experts. The experts will evaluate each proposal based on the following criteria:
· Scientific and technical merit
· Suitability and feasibility
· International significance
· Value addition by the collaboration / National priority
· Possible impact of the research / National priority
· Potential for promoting equity and redress / Capacity building
· Adaptation / New knowledge and innovation
· Student involvement/ Young scientist developing.
The number of project to be selected will be 3 projects. However, it may change due to the priority, budgetary situations and/or other conditions of NRCT and NSFC.
Following local evaluation, a shortlist of projects to be funded will be constituted in consultation with the NSFC based on the results of the evaluations done in both countries. Please note that, although the NRCT undertakes to execute the evaluation and selection process as quickly as possible so as to notify applicants of the results as soon as possible, the nature of the bilateral process requires the alignment of the commencement of each phase of the process with the foreign partners, whose schedule may differ significantly from that of the NRCT. As such applicants are urged not to expect notification by a certain date, nor to make concrete logistical arrangements before having been thus notified.
As a general rule, no less than three months should be allowed for notification following the deadline for applications.
26 December 2016
17 February 2017
30 June 2017
1 August 2017
For more information
For programme related queries
Ms. Kwansiri Wanwiwake
Foreign Relations Officer
Division of International Affairs, NRCT
Tel: +66 (2) 579 2690
Fax: +66 (2) 561 3049
For grant related and technical queries
Ms. Srirat Rodnaronk
Plan and Policy Analyst
Division of Plan Administration and Research Budget, NRCT
Tel: +66 (2) 0-2579-3982 ext 410
Fax: +66 (2) 940 5495
Mr. Rong Nianhe
Division of Asia, Africa and International Organization
Bureau of International Cooperation, NSFC
Tel: +86 10 62326998
Fax: + 86 10 62327004
2017 NRCT-NSFC Call for Paper (Renewable Energy).pdf
2.แผนแลกเปลี่ยนนักวิจัย ไทย - จีน.doc
3.แบบเสนอแผนงานวิจัย (แบบ คอบช. 1ช).doc
4.คู่มือ ประกอบการเขียน (แบบ คอบช. 1 ช).doc
5.แบบเสนอโครงการวิจัย (แบบ คอบช. 1 ด).doc
6.คู่มือประกอบการเขียน (แบบ คอบช. 1ด).doc